Old 05-26-19, 05:27 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
The use of Metformin with its ability to reduce carb digestion is the primary reason for it being a protocol medication in the treatment of my PCa (prostate cancer).
That doesn't relate to diet though. Metformin has some interesting functional mechanisms which have an effect on glucose metabolism but it's not in fact the glucose moderating effect of metforming which makes it a promising anti cancer drug. It has more to do with it's intra cellural mechanisms which also affect cancer cells.

I did look into cancer and metabolism and all in all it's a very interesting subject. However the best way to combat it would be with a healthy balanced diet which has been described in the OP. Going low carb and adding protein such as red meat and dairy does not functionally lower blood glucose (for an otherwise healthy person anyways) but it easily increases protein intake which in turn increases amino acid concentrations in the blood stream. The amino acid glutamine is another fuel source which cancer cells use readily so in some types of cancer a high protein or high animal product diet can actually have an adverse effect.

There is some research in general resource reduction as a way to inhibit cancer growth. This does not mean fasting as that would be a very bad idea indeed. In general cancer patients should do everything in their power to stay strong and especially maintain muscle volume. However a resource scarcity in the body significant for the growth of cancer cells can apparently be achieved via HIIT. But as far as I've gathered it still requires more research for a conclusive consensus on the issue.
Likes For elcruxio: