Old 06-19-19, 10:41 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
He makes a pretty compelling point about getting the tyre on straight and even before peeling the backing out... that advantage alone is very attractive. Even with practice, I've found it a bit hit or miss; rarely do I mount a tubular as nicely as any half-decent clincher looks. Mucking around with ripping the fresh bond apart and hauling the tyre this way and that is tiring and not entirely effective.

And as for damaging carbon rims from pulling off tyres, why the hell is anyone making rims without a twill ply in the tyre bed? Carbon rims cost an arm and a leg - surely a relatively tiny increase in production cost is justified if it'll prevent premature failure. It should be bloody well de rigueur.
Yeah man. I don't claim to have a lot of experience with gluing (did it maybe 10 times total?) but I got them on pretty close to perfect... Or so I thought... The first time I taped I knew how it should have been all along
I'm sure it's possible in the hands of an experience rider but the hassle of cleaning glue off the rim next time you put tires on makes it just not worth it to me. I know a lot of people just glue on top of old dry glue but that's a no go for me. I used to make the rim spotless / brand new looking before I put new glue on. Which took... Forever.

Anyway... Yeah tape for life!