Old 06-25-19, 01:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I took my bike on BoltBus on the Portland to Seattle route. Much cheaper than Amtrak with more frequent service. I loaded my bike myself in the large baggage compartment. Mine wasn't the only bike and there was plenty of space. No box required.
Bolt seems to be the best of the US intercity bus lines for cycletourists.

Greyhound owns Bolt - it would be keen if the parent would adopt the subsidiary's policies. Perhaps a national bike touring organization could work on this (looking at you, Adventure Cycle!)

(Note: Yo!, on this chart and also owned by Greyhound, is no more, having been absorbed by the operations of Greyhound & Bolt.)

Worst by far is Megabus, with their 'no bikes in cargo hold' policy and a restriction that carry-on luggage may only contain clothing and personal care items (no folding bikes!)

Amtrak also operates intercity buses, Amtrak Thruway, for some minor routes and when their trains are snafu'ed. I understand Thruway's bike policies are much like Bolt? Somebody fact check me on that?

Last edited by tcs; 06-25-19 at 02:19 PM.