Old 07-02-19, 04:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp42
Trek is headquarted in Madison, maybe all bikes there are Treks... a "generic trademark" like xerox, kleenex, band aid, chap stick, etc
Sorta like in Atlanta, they ask "What kind of Cokes y'all want?"

Trek HQ is actually on the edge of Waterloo, WI, about an hour by motor vehicle from here. Just a mile or so from the original "barn" (really a metal pole shed, but "barn" sounds so much more romantic) in which the company was "born". Trek is huge here, but I've never heard the name used generically. I'm guessing the dude has a a few bikes to flip, and grabbed the wrong one for the photo shoot.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
This is from an ad on Ebay not Craig's List but i thought some might find it interesting. The price isn't too bad bu WOW the shipping!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-80s...d=123717466897

Derailleur is $29.99 USD but the seller wants $139.99 USD for the shipping! WOW!

Cheers
eBay is fair game here, along with Kijiji, OfferUp, SpyBook, etc.

Maybe for $140, it's hand-delivered by a Kardashian......

One less silly possibility - according to a guy who sold us a bike on eBay, they automatically add shipping on items in some categories, unless you specify pickup only. And often the amount is more than what it would actually cost to ship. The bike we bought, we paid the shipping separately, and ended up saving some money. It's possible this seller mis-categorized the derailleur and the automated eBay humunculus tacked on the $140 shipping charge.

Last edited by madpogue; 07-02-19 at 04:40 PM.