Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Saturday 9 Jan -- I'm building up my distance, getting into better shape, and so today I cycled 77.8 km.

The ride contained two lengthy, fairly strenuous climbs ... up and over into Hobart and up and over home again. Plus a decent stretch in the middle that was relatively flat. However, on that bit, I had a hot headwind on the way out. It wasn't too strong, but just enough to be a little annoying. Nevertheless, I was looking forward to a tailwind all the way back. That was not to be. I had a reasonable tailwind for a little while, and then I started getting the odd cold gust coming from the side, and it wasn't long before I was riding into quite a strong cooler headwind. The coolness was nice (the day hit 30C) but the wind made it a slog.

One of the larger cruise ships was in today, and the area around the centre of town was thick with tourists. There were also quite a few walking or riding rented bicycles at the beginning of the cycleway. Nice to see.

Also near the beginning of the cycleway was a very enthusiastic young boy riding with his father. He was good with checking to see who was coming behind and then riding hard past people. I thought I would sail past them, but ended up riding behind for a little while because this little boy was putting in a really good effort!
This is from near the top of the first significant climb. I am about to descend into the city, all the way down to sea level again. Just around the corner, the shoulder I am standing on to take the photo vanishes and for about 1 km or so, I am among the traffic. That section can be a little hair-raising, but this time, I took the photo then glanced over my shoulder and a large truck pulling a trailer carrying hay bales was just topping the hill. I knew it would be going slowly down the hill because it is quite a steep descent, and I thought, "I can use you!" I tucked the camera away and as soon as the truck passed me, I tucked in behind. The other vehicles were pulling out into the next lane to get around the truck, and thus left me and the truck to ourselves in our own lane.

Oh, incidentally, this would be part of my commute, were I to cycle to work.

Cycling facilities ...

Hot day ...

Along the Cycleway ... yes, this is still within city limits. In the first photo, that's Mt Wellington and a vineyard and the Cycleway, then I turned to my left and took the second photo.

I don't know how much you may have heard about Hobart, but if you've ever heard of MONA, it is quite close by to where I am in these photos ...

Almost home ... part way up the second climb.

And if you click the photos, there are more dated 09Jan16.