Old 04-03-21, 08:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
After being a lycra-only guy on the road for many years, I have been going with liners and shorts (AKA baggies) on more and more rides lately.

The issue is less aesthetics (though in redneck areas I do consider how out of place I want to look), but comfort. It seems to me that all my older (decade plus) shorts were really comfortable, but every new pair I try feel like compression shorts. They just don’t stretch as much. Sometimes this is OK, but on long rides or rides where I will be off the bike for a while, it gets a little old for me.

My favorite liners are the Endless Ride from Patagonia. The Zioc Ultras are decent too, and the fly is rather brilliant, but I wish the chamois was a little firmer. I may try the “Carbon” model next time.

For over-shorts, I like the Zioc Ether. Slim cut. I actually use the Ether 9 version as I have short legs.

I would not race in these where seconds count and I need squeeze out every second possible. But I do long road and gravel rides, and notice zero difference in my ability to keep up with those I am riding with.

I am sure I would get scoffed at by Roadies who take themselves too seriously, but they have already written me off after largely ditching clipless.

So, you do you, and let the haters hate.

As far as price.... I’ve seldom had good luck with cheap shorts/liners. IMO, $70 is very reasonable for good shorts. Cheap, actually.
Likes For Kapusta: