Old 12-07-17, 09:24 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Because of my own mistake I had 6 flats on the first day on my first 1000k brevet back in 2010. I build my own front wheel with the dynohub put new tires and went for a test ride before the big event, making sure spokes would stay tensioned.
I had a flat on that ride after about 30 miles. Flats happen, not a big deal, right?

A week later riding on a 1000k brevet at 7 am I had a flat about 20 miles into the ride with outside temperature at 96 F . Had to let my fast group go while I was changing a flat getting soaked in sweat. Later in the day and after 2 more flats I had to find a bike shop to get more tubes and a new tire. Riding alone trying to figure out why I was having flats I was blaming the new tires I had installed before the ride because most reviews of that brand said: "nice riding tires, but very week puncture protection".

After changing 3 more flats on the newly purchased tire I had no more strength to pump enough air in the tire with my mini pump. My shoulder started to cramp plus my eyes hurt because of all the sweat that was pouring on my face while I was changing tubes and pumping, pumping, pumping...
I was about to abandon the ride because of the frustration and I had no more spares , but I did not have any bail out plans and I had no more flats(!?). Then I realized that I did not flat any more because my tire pressure was way lower than recommended since I could not pump any more air.

I got to the hotel by 2:30 am and took the tire off again and carefully inspected my newly built rim. The rim strip was not not seated all the way(less than 1 mm) causing the tube to get thought the spoke hole and rub through. It was an easy fix, but I had no more spares and had to get more the next day.

Most people on that ride DNF because of the heat wave, temperatures range from 96F in 6 a.m. to 106F in the afternoon. The ordeal with the flats helped me finish the ride. What kept my mind off the heat suffering was trying to figure out why I was flatting so much and concentrating on that instead of on the heat. The rest of the ride was less adventurous because I had no more flats and heat wave passed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rim.jpg (57.9 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by Andrey; 12-07-17 at 09:28 AM.