Thread: Infrastructure
View Single Post
Old 05-23-16, 12:29 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm in a similar area though the roads aren't quite that bad. They have done some repaving lately. There was a patch between 2008 and about 2013 where no repairs were done unless it was horrible (they would fill big potholes, but no paving got done). There was a section in the city nearby that honestly looked like it had been shelled - in a 35 MPH zone, you couldn't do over about 15 MPH without risking damage to your suspension in a car.

Finally a few years ago they started repaving again.

They do a bunch of chipseal around me as well. I hate the stuff. Right after it's done, the road is basically impossible to ride on for at least a few weeks. Once about 3 years ago they chipsealed every road leading away from my house and I couldn't ride for weeks. Even after years, the road is still not pleasant to ride on.

My last bike that I bought came with a pair of Schwalbe Big Apples. If I get into another chipseal or very bad road situation, I think I might give them a try. Or just give up and buy a fat bike. There are choices for < $1000 these days.