Thread: Infrastructure
View Single Post
Old 05-25-16, 01:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
BTW, a properly built sidepath bikeway in rural Netherlands lasts about 5 times as long as an adjacent roadway. Technology just doesn't exist yet to create durable roadways for multi-thousand kg vehicles but current technology works quite well for low weight bicycles.
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Not really a solution.

Netherlands with 16,000 square miles of area and population density of 1055 per square mile is not the same as the US with an area of 3,536,000 square miles and a population density of 90 per square miles.

Netherlands solution only can possible apply to similar urban areas.
Originally Posted by genec
So do you expect that the US would put bike paths through the California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada deserts? Or is it vastly more practical to compare individual cities and their density to the Netherlands individual cities?
I was trying to point out: references to bike path durability in the Netherlands has nothing to with the millions of miles of crumbling roads throughout the US. There will never be bike paths on most of those roads.

I was also making the point you made..... comparing Netherlands solutions to similar US situations is the only meaningful if there is a fit. But many of the largest US cities....like San Jose are not a good overall fit for some of the solutions used in the Netherlands as the cityscape, size and mass transit infrastructure is far different.... but now I am digressing beyond thread theme

Last edited by squirtdad; 05-25-16 at 03:39 PM.