burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I did a couple of 30 minute Fartlek sessions the other day and they were both neither easy nor 100% of what I could do. And they both came out at 425'ish KJ per half hour (850KJ per hour). Back in 2016 I did a solo century at 820 KJ/hour - like I said - memories only.

dave
You're doing great hanging on to what you have, try not to feel discouraged.

As for the 425 per half hour, it doesn't really relate well to "per hour" because of the intensity and time to exhaustion curves. Even pretty well trained amateurs can't do the magic 95% of their 20min number. I'd guess most are in reality around 90%.

Using a few blocks of "all you can eat steady-state", you can raise the % of your threshold to which you're burning more fat. That's how pros sit out in the wind at Paris Roubaix for a few hours at the time at seemingly unGodly power levels. They've done enough SS work at that duration to work off of fat at a higher % of their ftp's.

Start at 3x15's with 5min rest. After a few workouts then do 2x20's. Then 1x40, then 1x60. You get the idea. Take a break, then do a higher intensity block. Repeat.