View Single Post
Old 12-27-14, 05:24 AM
TheLoneWolf

Bikes: VINTAGE: 1984 components on 1977 Trek tourer frame and 1995 MTB Specialized Hardrock --- NEW: Crane 8 Folder bike (Origami Bicycles Co.)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Front Derailleur add-on could be accomplished & working, that sure would be big positive hurdle to overcome, not only for the bargain bottom priced Genesis but for most other more expensive folder bikes of this size & similar styles that do not, offer front derailleur & double chainring set-ups.

Not sure if I will get Genesis yet, or look to other slightly higher priced brands that may not require as much upgrade fixes. The regular full size bikes I've owned, I have always had at least two to three chainrings up front. Obvious, more gearing selection and especially for the hilly landscapes in my area. Even if I were to do short commutes or quick errands, I would still encounter some road upslopes. With the limited gearing of folders, I would likely at times need to stand on the pedals to negotiate up some of the inclines. Hmmmm .... if I get 'folder', I might also add foot straps to pedals.

This is the only link so far, that I found which goes into some detail about front derailleur add-on to a folder bike. He says it was very difficult. however he also comments, "It took me many hours to get it working satisfactorily, as installing the FD is new to me too, thus I was learning as I went along!"

Hands On Bike: Journey of the Boardwalk: Part 16 - Front Derailleur for the Dahon Boardwalk TT

I have installed, adjusted & tuned front derailleurs on regular size bikes. It may take a little time to tweak it just right, but I would not rate it as high difficulty.

P.S. Ahhh ... since he has never installed front derailleurs before ... okay ... it would maybe be somewhat difficult for him!

Last edited by TheLoneWolf; 12-27-14 at 05:43 AM.