View Single Post
Old 04-01-15, 06:33 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hydraulic disc brakes are absolutely essential on mountain bikes ridden fast on technical trails. Their power is important, but their controlability is far more important. There are some situations on roads where they may be superior to good caliper brakes. For my money, caliper brakes are completely fine for road riding in all Georgia weather (I can't speak from experience about snow) and conditions on paved and most dirt roads. For mountainous gravel roads, I can see where discs would be better, especially hydros. For most of the gravel riding I do, brakes are not a big deal. You just need to have some occasionally. The only advantage I see of discs on the gravel and dirt roads I ride is that they don't limit tire width at all. You can run whatever your frame and fork will take.
For performance riding on roads, the disc brakes of a few years from now will be vastly superior to the MTB based models on the market today. Also, standards for brake mounting and thru-axles are evolving. I plan to wait and see if I think I need them once things settle down.