Old 01-12-20, 08:59 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Bead issues perhaps?

When you say you inflated the tires up to 80 psi prior to the ride, I’m wondering if that amount of pressure was insufficient to (re) mount your 5000TL’s fully. What I’m wondering is this: when you don’t ride your bike for a week or so and the tire gradually deflates lower and lower, the bead sort of pulls away from the rim shelf. When you use your foot pump to take it back up to 80 psi, the pressure is building back gradually and it might appear that all is well and that there are no leaks.

But I wonder if in actuality there is some retraction of the bead over the time of the gradual deflation that “sticks” the bead out of position in a way such that it holds air in the garage but fails on the road.

My thinking is that when re-inflating tubeless tires, it might be better to do a high pressure re-mount using a pressure canister (giving an initial blast of >120psi) to re-pop the bead fully out to the edge of the tire shelf on the interior of the rim. The tire could then be deflated down to the final pressure of 80 psi. Kind of the opposite direction of typical tubed tire inflation.

I’m just speculating here & hoping to prompt further conversation on this topic.

Sorry about your crash & subsequent injuries BTW. Hopefully the concussion left no lasting after effects.