reidconti
Carbon compliance tester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'd play it by ear for now...

The next 8 months should be excellent weather for commuting.
I live in the bay area, it's always excellent weather for commuting I'm just not sure I want to invest the time involved in 44mi/day for 4 months. Particularly as the route is not quite as good; I don't mind riding my road bike 20+mph along an expressway where cars are going 50, but going slower on an upright commuter with such traffic is a bit less pleasant. It's no tree-lined neighborhood, that's for sure! But I have ridden the route before and it's not so bad, and very flat.

Perhaps hunt for a redundant bike for the ride... Does it have to be the "perfect bike"? Or something that will just reliably get you 6 miles down the road?

And, who knows, perhaps in 8 months, you'll be adding extra loops onto your commutes just to get a little extra riding in.

Then those 20 mile rides just won't look so bad.

Between now and then, enjoy riding.
I've got 8 months in; my commute will change within a few weeks; I'd need to do another 4 months of the new commute to hit the 1-year mark.

I do have a few extra bikes; I love my 'perfect' commuter but I until recently had a single speed (since donated), plus my 'nice' road bike, plus a mountain bike. None with fenders, which is a problem in the 'miracle march' rain we're having after a very dry winter.

Originally Posted by nasabiker
20 miles may not be bad depending on your terrain, you could even do split commutes or drive car in with bike and bike home flip flopping everyday. when sping hit I might be doing that myself
I could. I'm just kind of an all-or-nothing type of person. It has worked so well for me to ONLY commute by bike; if I have a split commute or a sometimes kind of deal, I'm very unlikely to do it at all.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
My only concern with your story was that you thought 4miles round trip was too close to cycle so you drove instead. How long would your walk have been?

Before I retired, my work wad 4.5km one way. I hated the fact that forteen years I drove until I found a safe route to get to work. So I had been bike commuting for three years.
*shrug* It just wasn't worth the effort at 2mi each way, especially considering the large number of traffic obstacles to deal with. It wasn't really exercise, and it wasn't more pleasant than a drive. I walked it a number of times but, again, due to roadway crossings and the like, it took 45 minutes each way. Every commute is different; if I drove to my current job it would be a straight shot on the freeway but I find the bike ride so pleasant. That hasn't been the case for every commute I've had.

Originally Posted by khyricat
I am hoping to start bike commuting soon to my 6 mile from home clinic... (new trike ordered today, then need to get used to riding it and work up stamina a bit- hopefully in a month or 6 weeks I'll be riding the 2 days a week).. my other clinic is 42 highway miles (or more non highway and still scary not rider friendly roads) away... But if you are on your wife's way- what about a folding bike/stored bike for the commute from her office to yours and back? or walk it?
I'll just have her drop me off on the side of the street near my office. I could walk, though, if I felt like doubling back.