Old 07-20-19, 01:21 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Let's talk about those helmet vents and bald head sunburn

So....like everyone else, I wear a vented helmet, you know the type, approximately 24 vent holes to keep the heat down.

The other day I did a 20 mile ride using that helmet (98 degrees, real feel 105 - NC can be a hot place in the summer). A day later my wife remarked on my approximate 6" x 1" red sun burns that ran from the front of my head to the back on several striped locations.

Today I set out and did over 27 miles, this time using a spray sunscreen we use at the pool. Seems to have prevented the burn but stings in the sweat in the eyes. (Today was a cooler 94 degrees with a real feel of 102 degrees - brrrr, almost needed long sleeves, lol).

So, I began to search for a solution using the power of the internet. Within a few minutes I ran across this....

Sunscreen advice for bald riders.... (LINK)

And then this...

Bicycle helmets and do rags

Some interesting light reading.

Some of the posts even suggested a more aero helmet such as this with different venting ideas to keep from having direct sun exposure and burns.

My concern here is the before mentioned temperatures we have here. Oh, did I mention the humidity? Yea, sometimes near 100% (might as well be raining). Cooling is a high priority. Sweat is a given here, clean, see through cycling glasses are a challenge with the amount of sweat.

Some suggested a folded bandana, a do-rag, a cycling hat, even folded baby wipes and/or screen netting like used in a window glued inside the helmet.

So.....what do you do oh "great bald ones" to protect your "dome" from the ravages of the solar ball in the sky? P.S.....my bald is "self induced" but have worn it this way so long I don't want hair back....lol.

Let's hear the solutions!

Last edited by mynewnchome; 07-20-19 at 01:30 PM.