View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 05:42 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 140 Posts
Yesterday I hit my personal record.
Riding home on my 2.5 mile so-called commute. I'm in a residential neighborhood.
Classic setup: on my right, Lexus SUV with tinted windows is rolling up to the four-way stop... stops eight feet back, just because... meanwhile, I'm rolling downhill, not pedaling, a few seconds to the stop sign... I see where this is going and wave the driver on, there'd be no reason for me to slow down at all, as there's no other traffic. And they've stopped. And it's now their turn.
But no. Car just sits.
I come to a full stop. Nothing.
I cross my arms, which usually works. Nothing.
We're now 20 seconds into this charade and I confess, I'm intrigued.
I pull out my phone, check some messages, look over at the car. Nothing.
Now I'm thinking the idiot is parking close to a stop sign and doesn't even want to go.
Time for a little test: I signal right and start a right turn -- not my direction, but like I said, I'm intrigued.

NOW she starts rolling -- I'm close enough to the car that I can see it's a 30-ish lady -- and I do a U-turn behind her and continue on my merry way.
This whole exercise probably took two minutes, and I have no idea what the point of all that was.

When people see a fifty-year-old guy on a bicycle, doesn't it click that if I got to this age and am still biking, I'm probably not doing anything crazy on the road.
cheers -mathias