canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Fizik PowerStrap X4s. Switching to SPDs for the new road bike, so I wanted a road looking shoe that was walkable. These are actually marketed as gravel shoes, but should work well. I have the Terra X5s for my gravel bike and like them. I had actually picked these out before I decided which bike I was going to get, turns out they're going to match.

I got the cheaper Fizik Tempo Powerstrap R5 last year when a pair in dark blue showed up on Amazon for $50. Good shoes for the money. A little large for my skinny, bony feet, but fixed by swapping to my favorite insole (ProFoot Miracle) and thicker socks. Good cool weather shoes, and cold weather with full shoe covers. They breathe surprisingly well in summer too, despite having tiny vents and looking like they'd be plastic hot tubs.

In fact, I just swapped pedals on my Ironman so I can use the Fizik shoes in cold weather. The Ironman had Look delta pedals that I used with a nice pair of Scott Road Pro shoes that are built more like sandals than shoes -- minimal uppers, just enough to hold the shoe together between the generous airy mesh panels, including large vents in the soles. But impossible to get comfy with in winter, even with thicker socks and shoe covers.

Only problem I've had with the Powerstrap is some fraying of the Velcro. I'll touch it up with some superglue or a bit of heat to create a melt-knot. Otherwise the uppers and soles have been very durable and easy to clean.

And the Powerstraps lay flatter with my tight fitting shoe covers. My Scott shoes have buckles and the shoe cover compresses the buckle into my foot, making it uncomfortable after awhile. I don't know if that's an issue with boa closures.