Old 10-26-20, 08:32 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
USPS woes on irreplaceable vintage part - don't suppose any of you work there?

EDIT: Update on this one below. Don't get me wrong, would still love it if someone on the inside was able to look into this, but ... at least, after two hours on USPS site and phone calls, I have some answers.

I'd posted a seriously rare stem for sale here over in the sales forum.

@3speedslow and I were teaming up, pitching in to pay for it to go to @randyjawa for a special project, as a little thanks for everything he does for cycling at large, he's a really phenomenal guy IMO. I sent it out USPS Priority International, padded priority envelope, insured up to $200. All paperwork completed correctly.

Sad to say, looks like this stem is lost domestically while in USPS possession. We see it made it to NYC airport (see attached), where it bounced around for a few days, but hasn't resurfaced since 18 September. Worst part is, it seems tracking info and weight may not be adequate "proof of mailing" to file a claim. USPS wanted a pic of shipment proof, but the only pic I had was on a phone I had to return to my employer a few weeks back when they forced everyone to upgrade.

So it looks like this little gem of history is potentially lost forever.... I filed a missing mail search 2-3 weeks ago, no updates. I filed a claim, which I suspect will be rejected. Figured I'd toss it out here, if anyone on the forum happens to have any resources that could help, I'd really appreciate a hand. We were making nothing off this transaction, in fact, I would've been taking a noteworthy hit trying to return some positive karma where it's deserved.

I know it's a longshot, but figured it was worth asking. I can't even express the weight of my gut right now, that feeling you get when something's gone and there's nothing you can do.

Last edited by francophile; 10-26-20 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For francophile: