View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 01:46 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Recovery is very interesting. My experience has been that recovery is relative to the effort being made (HR zone, power, etc.). If doing rides where a lot of time is spent in the higher zones (more intense) my recovery is definitely taking longer. However I’ve found that I can ride day after day, mile after mile when riding in Zone 3 and below.

On my my solo cross country ride I covered 3400 miles in 43 days with 2 days off the bike (41 riding days). I did 9 centuries with 6 on consecutive days, with the longest being 127 miles. But my legs were tired enough to where I could spin easy gears faster to get speed but I couldn’t push the pedals with enough power to get my HR into Zone 4.

Similar results this week. We are doing about 70 miles a day with 4500’ of climbing. But by keeping my HR down riding 7 consecutive days with longish miles is very doable. I also prescribe to some sort of recovery drink. Chocolate milk seems pretty good for most but I can’t tolerate milk. I use a powdered mix that is 4 parts carbs to one part protein. It seems to help me, but that’s a pretty subjective analysis on myself.