View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 11:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'm trying out a new metric upon which to base overall training. I've set the fairly arbitrary (but perhaps not) goal of 10 megajoules a week...Historically speaking, I haven't done more than 5-6 10MJ weeks in any given year, but doing close to 9ish has always resulted in fantastic form.

I did 10 MJ a few weeks ago followed by 9.9 MJ the following week, and then just did another 9.3 last week. In doing so, I did a lot of upper Z2 and low Z3 with one or two harder days where I'd push for upper Z3 and sweetspot with a few little digs put in to keep it interesting. So far, so good. CTL is hovering in the upper 80s. I assume it'll stay around this or maybe creep up to the mid 90s.

It seems like it'd be a better gauge than simply hours or TSS. In the past I could inflate hours with group rides and races in which I wouldn't necessarily be doing significantly more work, and I could inflate TSS with the same, as I'm quite prone to "NP busting".

I'm at 3.3 MJ this week, so got a good start on this week. I'll have to see how it pans out. Still no races planned, but lots of KOMs to take a shot at when it warms a little.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-20-21 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For rubiksoval: