Old 06-08-11, 10:44 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
That is pretty much the conclusion that we came to when trying to decide if it was better to use a trailer or a set of panniers. I don't think that one is really better than the other. They each have their advantages and drawbacks. Panniers force you to pack smart and question whether or not something is really needed, the major draw back is it limits your capacity and places all the weight directly over your rear tire which may influence spoke breakage and pinch flats. You really need to analyze everything cost to benefit ratio, with the cost being the space it takes up. <<SNIP>>
Being a backpacker, touring would seem to be a nice mash-up of activities for me.

Now that you have your maiden voyage done you can begin to refine your equipment choices through experience. That is what has happened with my backpacking load. The first couple of trips you take everything you own. After that you start to realize you probably don't need a case of AA batteries, a plastic carrier for a dozen eggs and an AM/FM/Shortwave radio. (Kidding. . .Sort of)
You might venture onto some of the more sensible backpacking sites to find equipment that will be just as functional but weight/volume friendly. Alcohol stoves vs. a heavy gas stove. A tarp enclosure or a backpacking hammock instead of a 3 person tent. You don't have to go crazy about it (you think the biking weight wienies are bad, have a peek at some of the loonies that hang out in the ultra-light backpacking forums).
Another thing is that the backpacking folks tend to be DIY'ers so lots of stuff is done on the cheap. And, it's highly functional because you are customizing it for your particular likes/dislikes/needs/wants/preferences. There are plenty of suppliers out there that provide raw materials for making your own gear--everything from ripstop nylon impregnated with silicone so it's very light and waterproof to high-tech wicking materials for making clothes.
It's all out there. . .