View Single Post
Old 09-19-14, 09:04 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanescapee
Yes, I have the 700 model. Although I can fit larger tires than what I've got on there now, a fully rigid frame can only travel so fast on rough trails; even worse when laden with gear. I don't want to limit myself to fire roads and slow goin'.

Touring with a FS MTB has many challenges for the reasons you mentioned. I'm touring on a rigid MTB which can take a suspension fork. I'm using softbags and a backpack.

When I was road touring I didn't want weight on my back, but when you are riding dirt - especially techy trails - having some weight on your back makes riding easier as well as the inevitable hike-a-bike sections. I tend to put my food on my back. It means the bag gets lighter everyday, my food is always with me for cooking and snacking - at the end of the day I can hang the pack or put it somewhere else safe from bears.

MTBR.com has a bikepacking section specifically about MTB touring and in there is a member's rigs thread which is worth looking at for ideas.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

If you are willing to wear a backpack you can get a fair bit of gear on a FS bike in a bar bag, a seat bag and a backpack.

BTW - once I switched from road to MTB touring I never looked back. I'll ride the odd day on pavement to link up dirt sections, but I am always happy to get back on dirt.