Old 05-03-19, 05:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Waterproof commuter backpack?
Originally Posted by The 585
I'm going to start bike commuting next month and would love to get some suggestions on a good commuter backpack for my needs! I'll be riding 8 miles each way on a paved multi-use trail.

I'd like something waterproof in case I get caught in rain. It'll need to be able to hold my lunch, phone, keys, wallet, dress shoes, pants, shirt, underwear, socks, tie, body wipes, and U-Lock. Something that could double as a backpack for hiking would be great.

And for those of you who do this type of commuting, what do you do with your smelly athletic clothes upon changing? I'd like to avoid cross-contamination between my clean dress clothes and sweaty clothes....

Advice and recommendations appreciated!
Originally Posted by GeneO
What's your budget?
For anticipated rainy weather, I put items not to get wet in plastic bags; also good to separate clean from dirty. My backpack is lightweight. However, I mostly ride with a voluminous seatbag, or panniers, not particularly waterproof either.

You could also transport and exchange clean and dirty clothes via periodic car trips to and from work if feasible.

I also have an Ortlieb roller pannier, IMO the ultimate in waterproof, but I prefer bags with compartments.