Old 06-07-19, 11:11 AM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It's a bummer to see rising prices due to tariffs and declining interest in biking among kids simultaneously affecting the industry.

Tariffs and macroeconomic factors are out of our control- those will continue to be factors that companies will have to contend with, but it makes me ask, what can I do to reverse the trend? This quote really stuck out to me:

“As busy professionals, it’s so challenging. Our parents left their computers at work. Now we’re constantly tied up. It’s hard to say, ‘I’m going to go ride my bike with my family for an hour.’”

As a parent of young kids, this quote is so depressing. The shift in mindset starts with parents! It is a CHOICE to be constantly connected to work, social media, etc. Put your phone in your pocket and take your kids for a ride around the block! I've had my kids on Striders at 18 months, and it planted the seed of interest- they ask to go for bike rides all the time now. They get to watch one 1/2 hour cartoon on weekdays, and maybe a movie on weekends. My wife and I both have demanding full time jobs, and we don't shove an iPad at our kids in our limited time together as a family.

"...kids and teens ages 8 to 18 averaged more than seven hours a day looking at screens."

What!? That's almost half of their waking hours, I can't even understand that much time spent in front of a screen.

I think these broad cultural trends are MUCH more concerning than the effect that tariffs have on bikes.
Likes For mpls85: