Old 06-18-19, 08:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I have no problem with Anything a person rides. I don't care if it is $10 Good Will bike a $10,000 high-end bike.

The whole point is that the Cost of the bike is not the point. Riding is what bikwes are about ... or owning and looking at, or bragging about when BSing with friends, or parking outside cafes to attract dating partners or Whatever.

If it has Anything to do with cycling or cyclists, this is a good place for it.

I started with a Murray (I think) with training wheels---they came off when I was five. I got a Robin Hood English Racer (Sturmey-Archer 3-speed) and then a Schwinn Suburban. I then rode borrowed bikes and FREE---that's right, No purchase price---bikes which I picked out of the trash and reconditioned.

I rode for several years on bikes made out of junk. Anyone want to call me out for commuting maybe 10000 miles per year on Free bikes? Anyone want to tell me I was not a "cyclist" because my bikes didn't cost enough?

I rode five to seven days a week, I was car-free. I went to work, to classes, to the grocery store, to run errands, to do laundry, to hand out with my friends, to go camping, to go touring, and on my days off, i rode just for fun. I rode regardless of weather. I generally carried all my food, water, a couple changes of clothing (different for work and classes, and spares if it was raining) and spare shoes (flat pedals but I rode in sandals and they got sweaty or soaked with rainwater, whichever applied. Needed real shoes for jobs, didn't need shoes for yoga, tai chi, or qigong classes, did need shoes for college classes ....) Plus tools, spares, whatever ... because you won't keep a job if you have to call in explaining how your bike broke. Be late and greasy, but get there.

I regularly carried 20-30 pounds of gear---more depending on the weather. And I would carry 50-plus pounds of groceries (gallons of water (25 cents from the filter machine) plus 25-pound bags of rice, bags of beans, peanut butter ... I'd wash my laundry at he laundromat and bring it home--wet--to hand on the line. A couple weeks' worth of laundry, wet, weighs a Lot.

I have never been so fit. i wasn't fast, but after several years of that, I could rip off strings of 100-mile days on a fully loaded touring bike with no problem.

Eventually I saved enough to get a "real" bike---I didn't need one, i liked building them from scrap, but I wanted the "new" tech, like indexed shifting (!) But I rode I cannot say how many thousands of miles on bikes which cost whatever two new tubes cost 35 years ago.

So ... am I allowed to post here?