Thread: Amazon
View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 02:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7372 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,469 Posts
OK. I've always found Queens to be annoying to cycle in. I'm not sure it can be fixed with bike lanes. The last time I was in LIC, I didn't look at it from a cyclist's perspective, so I don't know. In summer of 2014, I raced at Kissena Velodrome. Almost every time, I rode from my home to the track, on a track bike. Ouch. I even took 34th Ave, which is not terribly congested, and it has bike lanes. But overall, it was unfun.

Manhattan is no paradise, either.

It's amazing how many New Yorkers put up with New York. I moved back here from NJ in 2013, so when I did, it felt both old and new to me, meaning that the pleasures and the punishments were vividly felt. Depending on the route, bike commuting can be better here than it used to be. One reason is that drivers are used to seeing us on the streets, and that includes all boroughs. I've even found taxi drivers to be a ton more cautious than before.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.