Old 12-24-18, 09:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yup, I know that feeling. My toes get froze really easily.

Unfortunately my Scott Road Pro shoes are really summer shoes and very snug fitting. My feet are long and narrow, size 11 and A or B width in most sizes. Hard to find shoes of any kind that fit right but the Scott shoes are great. But only with a single pair of thin socks.

Even with a double pair of thin socks it's pushing the comfort limits. I've already replaced the original insole with a better insole -- ProFoot Miracle, very lightweight, single piece, full length, much more comfortable, no vents or detachable supports. Very slightly thicker than the original insoles, just enough to make it impractical to use thicker microfiber winter socks.

So when the temp reaches 50F I'll wear thin sandwich or snack baggies over my toes/socks. And Pearl Izumi lightly insulated full length shoe covers. Unfortunately the PI shoe covers are so snug the pressure on the top of the shoe across the Velcro toe strap cuts off circulation to my little toe. I may need to modify the toe strap to minimize that problem.

One trick I tried last year worked really well for insulating, although it wasn't very comfortable: aluminum foil, over the socks or between pairs of socks. The wrinkled foil over my toes bothered me after about an hour.

This winter I'm going to trim the foil using the insole as a template and put the foil under the insole. Shouldn't add any noticeable thickness and will help block the vents and reflect body heat better.

But if your shoes have a large enough toe box, try wrapping aluminum foil around your toes or entire foot.

I'm betting a shoe cover using foil Mylar would work well, but I haven't found any using that material. It wouldn't be flexible so fitting would be tricky. It would need to be zipped on or use closures that minimized stretching and pulling across straps, buckles and laces.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-24-18 at 09:41 PM.