View Single Post
Old 04-06-19, 12:49 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Looking back at this thread makes it seem like I change stuff on my bikes around a lot, and I guess I do! I recently ordered a set of 27.5" wheels for my Roam. I found some WTB SX19 rims laced to Novatec hubs with Continental X-King 2.2 tires. They'll be nice wheels, but I'm not going to use the tires on my Roam. They'll be fine on my Redline, which...already has 27.5" wheels and some Vittoria Mezcal tires... So I figured I'd just MOVE those 27.5" wheels and tires over to my Roam and just fit the new wheels and X-King tires to my Redline when they get here.

And I did! Being OCD, I moved the Redline's brake pads over to my Roam, because they were already bedded to these rotors, and I'll just swap the rotors and cassette from my Roam's old wheels to the new wheels when they arrive next week (and fit the Roam's old brake pads, too). These work great on the Roam. The Mezcal tires are designed for cross country hardpack, and they do great on the pavement, too. My Roam rides a mix of pavement and gravel/dirt, and they'll work terrific for that. These are 2.1" (52mm), and measure up to about 54mm wide and about 52mm tall, which puts them at about 688mm tall (at least by the math), which is the same diameter as a 700x33mm tire. They're a little shorter than the stock 700x38mm tires, but only by about 10mm total. Clearance is still perfect.

These are the TNT version (Tubes, No Tubes), which is Vittoria's nomenclature for tubeless ready tires, with the 120 tpi Anthracite sidewalls. I'm running them with tubes, at 25 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. They ride very nice and are quick on the road. These are fantastic tires and have been about 66% off on Jenson's website for some time now (I bought these at the same clearance price last fall).

If you like a 2"+ tire, but full 29x2" is getting a little large for your preference (or your frame), and you have disc brakes, you can very likely convert to 27.5".

Likes For hokiefyd: