Old 10-30-19, 10:38 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I really like my PI AmFib tights down to 10 degrees F or so. Not cheap upfront, but they are durable enough for many seasons.
I've been layering thermal tights...and it still isn't enough to trap heat below 20F. And it takes forever to get out the door. Haven't laid out $$$ for PI AmFibs (using look-a-like thermal-fleece/softshell cycling tights off Amazon), but I doubt they'd be any warmer for costing 4x-5X as much per tight.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Ski pants would be cumbersome for riding any distance. A pair thicker tights under a windproof pair of pants, not the ski type, would be sufficient in -17*C. Below that, I might ad a pair of knee warmers under the pants.

The whole rigmarole is a hassle for sure and adds an extra 20-30 minutes, at least, to the time required to do the commute. But I take comfort in knowing that it's only for a few months.
For 20F for 6ish miles, one way...need two layers of thermal tights, and windbreaker pants....still not warm enough when it gets much colder. Hence the thought about ski-pants or the like.