Old 05-06-20, 10:25 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
where do you get this? I have been wanting to get in bulk like this but can't find a source!!
I'm too lazy to google "chain in bulk". But there are sources selling by the foot when i once considered that.

The problem is you have to buy a LOT to make it worthwhile. Especially since you then need to buy the relatively expensive master links that come with each chain. Of course, for tandems or recumbents bulk may be the best option to avoid splicing multiple chains.

Another problem (for me at least) is that I have 10 and 11-speed bikes in my fleet (plus my daughter's and wife's 8-speed). One can use 11-speed chains for 10-speed, but that seems wasteful.
So to really buy a lot you would have to consolidate speed number. And the next problem is, I'm always contemplating to 12-speed at the enext rear wheel upgrade on my good bikes. Don't want to buy 5 years worth of 11-speed chains, only to then be prevented from upgrading.

Just something else to consider. If you keep your bike unchanged for 10 years, it may be worth it if you get master links for cheap.