sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
that is what bulk means......... yes, it only pays to buy a lot if you use a lot. If you go to a bike manufacturer and buy 100 bikes, I'm sure they give you a good price per bike. but most people don't buy 100 bikes at a time. Same with chains it seems.

I recall a store where you could order in foot increments. Not sure if it was in 10' increments or more. At the time it didn't make sense to me since separate master links are quite pricey.

I'm also not sure if the bulk chain is any good. i doubt it has the same nice shift/coating or whatever features of XT, for example. I assume it is rock bottom of whatever brand.

Edit: if what you found really was $2,500 for 500', that is $5/ft. A chain is about 5 ft, so you use up $25 and still have to buy a link. so you pay almost $30 and had to buy years of bulk chain. You can get good brand 11-speed chains for $20 (inc. link). you see how bulk chain doesn't make sense. Probably better to hunt for a bargain of 5 chains or so.
yep, your math is so correct. I have always been looking for a place to get like 100 foot of KMC X11 or shimano 11 speed that I can just have for years. Probably not a easy thing to manage with quick links that is very true.