View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 03:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,681 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’ve learned not to “stockpile” parts. I usually end up stuck with old new parts in the box that I no longer need.

I think the same thing would happen if I made decisions based on getting bikes to use the same components. As soon as I set up a second bike to match the first, I’ll end up changing the first.

But I guess a second bike is better than parts in a bin.
I can solve your problem...stockpile the parts into a good sturdy box for shipping and then bring it on down to USPS or FedEx or DHL or UPS office and ship it over to me that way you get to have those spare parts but you aren't stuck with them

You will want to stock pile some XT and Ultegra Di2 stuff and if you have any previous stock piles of Dura Ace 7400 and any XT M737 or XTR M900/M950 Rear derailleurs and shifters those are also handy. Also could use a couple extra XTR Octalink BBs and probably wouldn't hurt to have a couple sets of 25th anniversary Dura Ace lying around just in case.

The idea of multiple bikes is great but just a back up bike maybe not so much. Also keeping some spare parts is good especially for common wear items but I wouldn't buy new derailleurs and shifters and such unless I was trying to build another bike it is a big expense on something you may not need. However having old parts in bins can be quite nice, I have certainly built 4+ bikes out of parts bin items and could build more should I want and that is a fun making things all work together and play nice and have a random hodgepodge of stuff.