View Single Post
Old 08-14-15, 08:55 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You are conflating statistics about on road fatalities with your observations about off-road injuries to include non-comparable (for evaluating risk) events resulting in insignificant and minor injuries and boo-boos usually incurred when motor vehicles are not involved in bicycling spills.
Not sure what you mean by conflating. However, my point is that a significant portion of cycling injuries and deaths do not involve motor vehicles, and thus would not be considered in the statistics for this study. These are not all off-road incidents. Most of my riding is on roads, and in 40+ years of cycling and tens of thousands of miles, I have never witnessed a car or truck hitting a cyclist. However, I have witnessed numerous cycling accidents, some resulting in serious injuries, on group rides in which no motor vehicles were involved. That is my point. In many respects, cyclists are their own worst enemies.