View Single Post
Old 03-10-17, 07:36 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i don't have much of value to add, but I have wondered about my ceiling, given I've started relatively late compared to others. and anytime I've sniffed 265 as my ftp I've had life stuff come up and sent me tumbling back to 230, where I'm at now. so I'm sensing 265 (around 3.7 w/kg if I'm at my good weight) may be my ceiling. not all that special but I'd take it over where I am now lol
I'm close to your experience in that I started late, my FTP right now is about 275.

The thing I would add here is that my impression is I've already surpassed many of the guys I ride with on the local A ride, who have ridden years and years and have put in many more miles than me both in the past and recently. I don't think it's due to me having better genetics. I think it's mainly that they do the same things over and over (same group rides, same kind of riding). They don't do structured training, many of them don't have power meters. They just do what they do, and as long as they fast enough to do the ride, they are fine. Even if they aren't fast enough to not be dropped, they'd rather do what they are doing rather than put in the hard work that is a real stimulus for improvement. That's my impression anyway. This time last year I had less than 100 miles to my name year-to-date and the idea of cruising around near 300watts would have been an absurd fantasy.