Old 10-31-19, 11:54 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
We get that, or at least some of us do.
Based on the many comments comparing men to women it would seem that most people here don't get it. That or they insist on stating the obvious.
But not performing like a man doesn't make someone a woman or put them on a level playing field with people who were born female.
True. And, as I've said above, how much of an advantage a trans woman would have likely varies considerably based on the sport/event in question.
I fully support people's right to transition, and I know that gender dysphoria is a real thing. But if anyone knows that gender isn't a light switch dichotomy, it should be transgender individuals.
Also true. Unfortunately, sports is (a "light switch dichotomy"). Having a specific category (or multiple categories) for any unique gender likely isn't feasible in a practical sense, and also would lead to a whole host of political issues.
I'm afraid one of the things one must sacrifice to be a transwoman is the opportunity to compete in sports on an equal footing with either men or women.
Why? I mean, I get that things will likely never be perfectly equal. But do you really think it isn't possible to make them "close enough" so as to not really matter? Many things already aren't equal. Funding, equipment, age (IIRC this category is 35-44, and you can't tell me a 44 year old isn't at a disadvantage against a 35 year old). Do you not think there could be restrictions on trans athletes that make their advantage less than, or comparable to all of these?