View Single Post
Old 11-01-19, 07:13 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

As to the argument upthread that its only one person so its not an "important' issue, I'm sorry but NO. If you want to believe bike racing is important, then its important for everybody who races, including the woman who trained very hard for UCI Masters Track Worlds only to lose her gold medal to a person with a clear unfair advantage.

Human rights should always trump your hobby (and for master's racers, along with the 99.9% of us who aren't good enough to go pro that's all this is). If you care so much about a result that you're willing to discriminate in order to achieve it, you need to take step back and examine your priorities.

Somewhere between 20 and 40% of transgender people will attempt suicide at some point in their lives. I don't particularly care for Dr McKinnon or her extreme (even to me) views, but I wonder: how many trans kids read about her and thought "cool" only to then read the comments in threads like this and feel like absolute crap.
Originally Posted by Heathpack
There's just a huge sentiment in the sport that women are irrelevant and expendable.
Ironic given how you feel about this woman and her right to compete.