View Single Post
Old 05-29-20, 12:36 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Well well.

I'm halfway through almost the same bike - also a '73. Mine has drop bars, and the paint & decals were poor, so it's getting painted and a set of decals from a 60-something are supposed to arrive sometime. I couldn't find decals matching what was on the bike, and the ones I got are much prettier, what the hell. It has the PWB. My rings are 47-52, what are yours?

There are few surprises - everything should be english threaded. There is (or should be) a white plastic cover on the front mech. Be careful getting it off.

I'm having fun with this one. It seems to have a slightly different cultural heritage in terms of the mechanics - some things are so simple they are elegant, some so simple they are agricultural.

The lugs and the BB shell are stamped-and-welded, and the welds were lumpy, really lumpy. I filed 'em smooth. In contrast, the edges of the lugs are sharp, nice points, head lugs have quite a nice set of crisp cutouts, the BB shell has fancy ends. Yet the fork blades and all four stays are seam welded with a deep line down the backs of their legs that looks as cheap as a black-and-white movie.

The front mech plunger needs a some-what inclined surface for the adjusting screw to contact - they put the screw right there where they bent the plunger 90 degrees for fixing the cable. The surface is the outside bend of the curve. Is that elegant or agricultural or both?

The chainrings are stamped-and-dished - no need for spacers in between the rings. And the outside ring has threaded holes, so the screws need no nuts: elegant. Square-headed screws: agricultural.

Stem - I-beam extension of aluminium alloy - but a steel post. *But* that steel post has a forged keyed wedge with a lightweight design - it's lovely - check it out, no-one else will ever see it.

Last edited by oneclick; 05-29-20 at 12:40 PM.
Likes For oneclick: