View Single Post
Old 11-30-20, 09:51 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It could be simply lack of appropriate exercise, though osteo is probably involved. Cycling only moves our joints through a small range of motion, only in one plane, and at rather low forces. That's not good in the long run. I suggest attacking on several fronts at once and not bothering with the scientific method here. You can worry about that later, if a combination of things works. I figure I don't have all that much time to fool around with stuff.

1) Stretching, to move your joints through ranges of motion they seldom experience: These stretches have worked for me: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967

2) Training. Try doing deep squats, all the way down until your hams bottom out on your calves. If you feel discomfort on the way down, definitely don't go as far as pain. Stop at discomfort, and try to gradually increase squat depth over time. Try sets of 12, no weight. A good way to start out is to sit down far enough to just touch a chair, then back up.
I have no trouble doing deep squats as a stretch. When I do squats in the gym I don't go any lower than 90 deg. No pain or discomfort.

3) Supplements. Many people respond to supplements, some don't. My wife and I happen to be responders. 1g glucosamine sulfate 2Xday, 1g MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 1Xday. It takes at least a month of this before anything noticeable happens.
I've taking taking glucosamine-chodrotin for years. Now I take 1X2days, MSM with tumeric 1Xday basically for my finger osteoarthritis. I don't know if I've slowed it down. Orthopedic doctors doubt whether they help.

I have no comparison, but on the other hand I don't have any knee problems even though my climbing cadence is sometimes low.
I suspect this "cracking-poping" noise in the knee is caused by either insufficient warm up or increased cleat float (4.5 to 6).