Thread: Diverge 2018
View Single Post
Old 09-02-17, 09:49 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
Interesting analysis and comparison. I almost went with a 2017 Comax where my LBS offered $200 off the list of $1850 today. Seemed a little measly with the 2018 coming out soon. I test rode it there and thought it was ok, but nothing spectacular. It might be because I'm coming from 2007 and 2008 Tricross Comps that still feel pretty darn good.

But good info. on the 2018 Comax improvements of the carbon frame and other components I wasn't aware of. My LBS (Giant dealer) makes a point, though, that you can't get near a carbon frame and 105 groupset with an equivalent Specialized (i.e., Diverge) at the Comax price point. Probably true, I think.

Future shock sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but interesting to hear your positive report and experience with it. My Tricrosses with Zertz inserts were probably just as gimmicky 10 years ago, but I've found it dampens shock really well.

But anyway, I'm reaching the conclusion that the Diverge is probably the better bike (as you also thought). But we definitely pay for that.

I don't think they even call the 2018 Anyroad comax any more. Something like advanced grade carbon. I seem to recall reading something a couple of years back to the effect that comax was a fairly low grade of carbon, or to some folks not "real" carbon, etc. I'm not going down that road, just trying to recall what I read back then. At any rate, the new carbon is supposedly a superior grade of material.

One concern I had with the future shock is that it seems to come with the stiffest of three spring options installed from the factory. Personally, I felt like I might want one more level of stiffness, maybe one more spring included with more resistance. I am not sure I like the spring that I rode being the max possible resistance.

You should seek out a future shock bike and give it a spin.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with you. If you were in the Anyroad market, I'd have to be able to buy one well back of $2k considering what you get for $2k-ish in a 2018. Seems to be a lot nicer bike in the 18, at least on paper.