Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I've been riding a 1984 Lotus Unique and a 1987 Centurion Ironman. I'm 64 years old and consider myself in pretty good shape.
I've been riding 3 or 4 months and am slowly getting faster. I have a 12 mile fairly flat loop I ride and have increased my average
speed riding hard from 13 mph to 16.5 mph then read about older guys riding 50 miles at 20 mph. Now I can probably hit 20-25mph
for a very short distance but can't imagine riding 50 miles at that speed.
So would a newer bike help me ride faster?
This looks like a bit of a bar fight.

Yes, and it is material but not must faster. Specialized built a wind tunnel where I used to live in NorCal and many of my racing friends raced for Specialized and tested in the tunnel. I have done aero testing of equipment and my results match what is shown by specialized. The video below shows how clothing, helmet, wheels and frame can improve performance. Optimizing all 4 items resulted in saving 3 minutes over 26 miles. Improving my time in a 40K ITT by 3 minutes is huge and would represent years of work on the engine.

Unfortunately, 3 minutes faster out of a typical hour time for an excellent 40K is not much to most people. Imagine, you and I are out riding the same bike, we are the same size and position on the bike and you have the physiology and training that enables you to arrive at the destination 3 minutes ahead of me in 26 miles. You will have enough time to park your bike, take off your helmet and order your coffee. I show up and join you. 3 minutes is nothing in recreational cycling.

Now let's assume you and I want to ride side by side and chat. I am in big trouble. There is no way that I can ride with you side by side. I cannot generate enough sustained force on the pedals unless you slow down maybe 1 mph +/-. You will not be as physiologically challenged as me on the ride.

If we want to ride together, I could probably ride behind you in your draft and we could arrive at the coffee shop at the same time both challenged about the same.

I like to ride new modern bikes that makes me feel good. If I feel great on the bike, I will want to ride longer and more often which will improve the engine as well. Have fun and good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-05-18 at 12:05 PM.