Old 01-26-19, 02:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Mountain bikes used rim brakes for 30+ years, but road bikes had to go to discs to allow room for bigger section tires? Shenanigans.
If you want V's or canti's, sure you have flexibility in frame and fork clearance. Lot's of shenanigans all over though, disc maybe not the worst of them. I'd say the idiocy with press-fit b-brackets is a more likely candidate for the "lets fix a problem that doesn't exist" category.

Disc's DO offer advantages over rim of any style, likely the only important ones are moderation and functionality when wet. Maybe you get some versatility in carbon rims, that want to be disc in any event. But when the major shifter manufacturers won't make brifters that play well with V or canti, then you move on, as we ain't changing Shimano's mind on this. And a side effect of disc on road bikes, is the frame designers get some leeway in the design and can allow clearance for larger tires. That's proven as a good thing. If the flexibility then exists to swap wheels for different surface conditions,than the user just got 2 bikes in 1, fast road with skinny tires and big tired gravel. Win/Win in my mind.