View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 07:57 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Thru-axles? Yes, I had a demo at a local shop. Confirmed: they are a PITA. (Because it is different than I'm used to.) I'm at a minimum removing and stashing my front wheel once per day. (And I hate it when my disc goes back in the same place relative to the calpier every time consistantly)Could not be bothered with anything that involves spinning.

In 5 decades of using (proper) QR skewers, I've never had any incident or even a close call. (Because everyone knows my quick releases are infallible and always work 100% of the time, with out fail and operator error is not possible.)

Another disadvantage of using QR skewers without lawyer tabs is added insecurity. So you park your bike unlocked while while you dash into a washroom or to grab a coffee. Opening up both skewers will make a successful snatch and ride theft harder...But that'll never happen to me. I am immune to infallibility.

FIFY

Safety third.

FWIW, what did me in on my disc bike was the senior mechanic at a well known bike shop. I'll not mention them here, but their website rhymes with schmikesaledotcom. About 5 miles into riding home from that shop, I asked myself "What is that rattle-rattle?" And looked down to see it was the front wheel. I then used the rear brake to stop & fasten the QR appropriatly. The lawyer tabs did exactly what the were supposed to.

My 17 year-old kid has all the mechanical ability of a tree-stump. On his rim brake bike I noticed the wires for his dynamo were wrapped around the axle. The lawyer tabs worked & held everything in place. He had no idea how long it'd been that way.

And finally 35 years ago, my front teeth became brakes when I had the joy of having the front of the bike decide it didn't want to play bicycle any more.

But yeah, you do you, man. Safety is for losers.