Old 05-29-19, 08:17 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Since I am not a fan of all the new stuff out there (a lot of which seem to have problems due to the complexity, or whatever; based on reading stuff about "brifters", electronics, etc., expensive to buy and expensive to fix); I like the DT friction shifting (easy to fix, adjust, inexpensive) best and don't need one thousand gears, heck I've rarely used a small chainring and have been satisfied with a 6 speed rear for over 30 years; my road bike has no front derailleur, but I still have a double ring (manual shift if needed). What I'd like to do is go backwards and take my Colnago Asso (I call it the "Assole"!) and put friction shifters on it, but the tubing shape and size are preventing me from installing a set of DT clamp-on levers. Any ideas? I was thinking of custom making a clamp band to fit the tubing. I expect to have to use some sort of spacer for the freewheel since the rear spread is wider than the older frame (122mm going to a 130mm on the Asso).

Thanks all; please don't make me feel like too much of an idiot!
You would want to start a new thread and post some pictures. While most of the people here appreciate your feeling on friction, this space is for showing what can be done with modern components. Good luck.