View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 11:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Steve B mentioned gloves. Keep in mind if you want a touch screen and if you also tour in cold weather, you might need to make sure that your full finger gloves are touch screen compatible. Some are, some are not. I have never used a touch screen GPS, so I have no clue how they behave in rain, etc.

My Garmin 64, if I deviate from the route it picked, it re-calculates a route. Sometimes it thinks the best re-calculated route is a U turn, but sometimes not.

Garmin makes a proprietary battery pack that consists of two AA NiMH batteries. Some of their GPS units (such as my Garmin 64) can operate while simultaneously charging that battery pack with a mini USB cable (mini, not micro USB cable). The units that can be charged that way can also be fooled into thinking that the proprietary pack is in the GPS and allow you to instead charge up two AA NiMH batteries, that is what I do.

My Sinewave Revolution will not directly charge my Garmin batteries, but if I run a pass through cache battery in the circuit, then I can charge my Garmin batteries. In this case the dynohub powers the Sinewave, that feeds the power into the pass through cache battery and that charges the NiMH AA batteries in the Garmin. Sounds complicated, but it is simple and I can tour fully self sufficient on electricity from my dynohub that way. I use a Voltaic V44 powerbank as a pass through cache battery.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-18-19 at 11:28 AM.