View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 01:02 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
Good stuff so far. One problem with the 520 is if I deviate from the planned route, it constantly tells me to U turn and doesn't reroute unless I return to the exact route.

How is the 1000 or the eTrex for rerouting?
GPS cycling devices up to recently have all seem remarkably stupid at doing a re-route of a planned course. Even a spanking new Garmin auto GPS I recently purchased isn't that great. The few times I've been aware that I am off the Course on my 1000 (a Course is what Garmin calls a pre-planned route) I've simply zoomed out on the map to locate where the course is and then followed my own route to the course. Or and if I knew where I was, I just stopped the course navigation which isn't a solution, though if you get back on the route you can re-start a Course.

Recent models like the Explore, 1030, 830 and 530 can access the Garmin website via a smartphone Mobile Connect app to access what they call "Trendline Popularity Routing". This uses a function similar to Strava's Heat Map to determine if there are routes near your location that other cyclists have ridden and assumes that such activity means that the route is likely to be acceptable for cycling, will thus route you onto that course. The units can generate an entire route from Point A to point B based on this info., though I've never read of how good it would be when attempting to re-route a planned course. DCRainmaker partly reviews this function. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/08/...th-review.html

Note that E-Trex units are not cycling specific and I'd doubt they have any actual routing function as found on the cycling models. The 1000 is discontinued but a decent replacement is the Edge Explore, which at $250 is a good price.

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-18-19 at 01:05 PM.