View Single Post
Old 12-20-19, 07:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I understand the OP's position. I think that he has come to terms with the tradeoffs of enjoyment versus risk.

My children and grown and married. My wife will be very well taken care of whether I live or die. I expect not only to die one day, but to not be able to choose the method of my own demise. Why not riding my bike?

Make your peace with all men and with your Creator...then live life without fear.

Risk vs Rewards Each of us must weigh the two and find a balancing point. If there is no happy equilibrium to be found then it's time to find something else.

My kids are grown and have their own families. My wife takes care of me financially and I'm happy/proud of it. If she didn't want me to ride, she wouldn't have spent $$,$$$.00 on my bicycling habit.

I have no need/desire to make peace with others or with a creator. Life was not something of my choice but continuing it IS and whether I get hit by a car while bicycling, fall off a ladder, slip on a banana, have my cancer totally take over and kill me, avail myself of my own "exit stage right" resources or make it to my "natural expiration date" I will ride the roads keeping eyes facing forward with glances in my eyeglass mirror and hope for VERTICAL SPACIAL ORIENTATION from clip in to clip out.
Likes For OldTryGuy: