Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Pan Mass Challenge [2020]
Originally Posted by top506
I'd love to do that ride, but too much dough
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I knew someone who rode this for years. he started because a neighbor of his was stricken. he, himself, would later die from cancer. I used to donate on his behalf but never rode it. it's a noble cause & easy to at least donate something
I have previously posted…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… to this thread, "Little rant: I hate charity events"
I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible. For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible...

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations.

When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask "Do you do the Pan-Mass?"
...Soon afterwardsI caught up with a rider wearing a really cool Boston Red Sox cycling jersey, a souvenir of the 2002 Pan Mass Challenge.
So instead of merely soliciting donations, those organizations provide a tax-deductible experience for a “gallant” cause.