Old 11-12-19, 06:09 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyBear
Any advice for a struggling lazy big dude to get back at it. Would an e bike really negating the fitness benefits of riding. Or is there some sort of off season training better than my stationary bike to consider to help out with next season.

I love my bikes. I don't always love riding them.

After 10 years off the bike in any serious manner, it was the bike I turned to 9 years ago after left knee replacement. Oh, I was serious in intent, but that didn't make me serious on the bike. Nine months later, I broke my back, and other damage in a high speed downhill crash on my bicycle. Took me 3 years to get back on a bike.

Now, I've had injuries and surgeries that kept me off the bike, and weight gains since then, that had me off the bike. But after choosing to get myself back on track, and a cardiac scare I chose weight loss surgery, which has me at a place I'm back in control of me again. And despite years of well meaning, this year I've been out and riding. Yes. I could have ridden more...

My points are. You only are a failure when you don't get back and do it again. You get to build on this past year. I'm stronger than I was 8 years ago.

Me, this next year I want to do more group rides. More distance, more often. Maybe challenge for known local challenge sprints. But first. Slog through somecwinter training on the indoor trainer. 1 more trip to the gym each week than I have been. Just keep moving...