Old 12-04-19, 10:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Maybe take the Phil Gaimon route and go after Strava KOMs? I know a couple of 50+ fellows who held or still hold many local KOMs. They're strong and fast but don't race. One won't even participate in most group rides. I can see why after trying some fast group rides myself. Too many cowboys.

Age, illness and injury solved that dilemma for me. When I resumed cycling a few years ago after a 30+ year hiatus I figured it would take a year to get back into good enough shape for competing in my age class. Nope. Not even close. It took me four years to get back into any kind of shape that might be suitable for competing over age 60.

At 62 I'm usually among the oldest of the folks I ride with, but even the guys my age who stayed in shape are still much stronger. Anytime I join a group ride that averages faster than 16 mph, it's not a question of whether I'll get dropped, but when. Usually very quickly. When I first tried riding with the A group, I might last 5 miles. Now it's usually 15-20 miles before I get dropped. But it depends on group etiquette. One group has predetermined regroup points. And they ride pretty steadily even when it's a brisk pace. There's always one guy who gripes that the ride isn't fast enough to suit him, but the ride leader won't drop stragglers unless the slow folks say it's okay and wave the pack ahead.

The other group claims to be a no-drop ride, but that never works out. There are always a few guys up front hammering and the pack starts to accordion -- accelerating, slamming on the brakes, sprinting, braking, etc. Nobody calling out road hazards (nearly clobbered some traffic cones the other evening). They pause briefly at the turnaround -- just long enough for the fastest riders to get the longest rest break -- then immediately resume hammering when the last guy drags in. So the last guys always get dropped immediately on the return trip.

That pretty much clinched my decision to never race crits again at any level. It's not a matter of winning or doing well. It's dangerous to everyone -- me and other riders -- if I'm hanging on by my fingernails in a bunch and my reflexes are impaired by exhaustion.

I might try some time trials, but no more crits or reckless hammerfest group rides. A year long recovery from a broken and dislocated shoulder and neck injury after being hit by a car last year reminded me I ain't young enough for that stuff anymore.