View Single Post
Old 02-20-17, 07:38 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Personally, one day, I'd like to do something like this ... in one direction or the other, not sure which ...

Cycle from the Vancouver area, under Abbotsford (8th Avenue? ... the roads are more or less in a grid system so we can pick which one we want ... just not the TransCanada, bicycles aren't allowed on the TransCanada till Chilliwack).

At Chilliwack, I would join the TransCanada. We might do a side trip to Harrison Hotsprings, but we'd have to tackle the Agassiz bridge which is rather narrow and busy. If we did decide to do that, we could stay on the north side of the river and cycle Hwy 7 to Hope. Both the TransCanada or Hwy 7 are OK ... I've cycled both.

At Hope, get onto Hwy 5 and just keep travelling north. Hwy 5 is the Coquihalla Highway, and a person might prefer Highway 1, but Highway 1 can be narrow and busy at times, and for some reason cycling Hwy 5 (Coquihalla Highway) intrigues me. Go through Kamloops ... stay on Hwy 5 and keep travelling north.

Eventually we'd get to Tete Jaune Cache where we'd turn onto Hwy 16 over to Jasper.

Then south on the Icefield Parkway to Saskatchewan River Crossing. Here I'd do an out-and-back to Nordegg on Hwy 11 just because I really like Hwy 11.

Back onto the Icefield Parkway to Lake Louise and then Banff.

Then I'd backtrack slightly to Hwy 93 (use the old Bow Highway (1A) to get there), and head out Hwy 93 to Radium Hotsprings.

From there it's a bit of a toss-up whether we would want to go south and do Hwy 3 along the US border or whether we would want to go north and join onto Hwy 1. We'd probably want to check elevation profiles, because I prefer flatter routes. Also if we would, by then, prefer more population, Hwy 1 is the way to go. If we'd prefer a bit more remoteness, Hwy 3 would be the way to go.

And then, from Hope, retrace our steps back to Vancouver.
You want to put a cherry on top, to finish that trip from Banff? Go to Williams lake, and then to Bella Coola and take the ferry to Vancouver Island...